Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Albert King - 1980

I dig Albert King soooo much! I love Freddie and BB, too, but Albert is my fave. Once I saw Albert in concert. It was in 1980 and amazingly here in Topeka. It was at the older exposition hall at the fairgrounds. There was room for over 500 but there were only about 200 people there. The acoustics were terrible. Worst of all, there were a dozen Shawnee County deputies fully armed and with billy clubs and teargas there and I think they must have been selected for duty based on their size! The audience was mostly middle aged and older black folks. The only white people there were me and Cindy and Carl "Crazy Legs" Palmer and Janice. This was back when Carl could really dance like James Brown which the crowd loved. Problem is, every time anybody tried to get up and dance these deputies would form a line in front of the stage and glare at the audience. It was intimidating. Albert even commented from the stage but in muted language. It was a shame that the only time I ever saw Albert King in person was under conditions that were far from conducive to celebration. This was probably the last time I ever saw those old-fashioned "telephone pole" gig posters. I still have one.