Saturday, February 8, 2020

"Wrestling Polka" Theme Song

"The Wrestling Polka" was used as the theme song on some professional wrestling television programs during the 1950s & 1960s. I heard it throughout the 1960s on "Wrestling With Bob", later "Big 2 Wrestling" on television station KFEQ, later, KQTV, in St. Joseph, Missouri. But here is the 78rpm of "Wrestling Polka" by the Satisfiers, a five-member vocal group who sang backup on a lot of Perry Como records. It appears the song was originally recorded for use by the wrestling promotion in Chicago run by Fred Kohler in 1954.  How many other wrestling programs over the years used it I have no idea.  But I heard it throughout the decade. This television station in St. Joseph, Missouri, was ninety miles away and reception was never great, using our rooftop antenna to pull it in.  Even at the time, I thought "Wrestling Polka" was really corny but this was many years before any kind of rock music was heard on professional wrestling television programs.  A generational shift would be necessary before that would happen.  Still, "Wrestling Polka" was burned into my memory forever.  Hearing it again on this 78 rpm record after all these decades is a thrill. UPDATE: I now also have the 45rpm record! Listen here: 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddyodilly/49489944196/
 
UPDATE: I now have the 45 rpm, also.