Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Beatles 45 rpm picture sleeve on Tollie Records

Here's my story about the "Love Me Do"/"P.S. I Love You" picture sleeve on Tolie/VeeJay: I was eleven years old when the Beatles became a hit here in the U. S. I really wanted the "Love Me Do" 45 with the picture sleeve. So, one cold and rainy Saturday I had my mom drive me around to find the record. She sat in the car while I went into four stores and came out empty handed. Her patience had run out and wanted to know why I couldn't find the record. I confessed the stores had the record but in the plain sleeve, not the picture sleeve. (We didn't used standardized terms like "picture sleeve" back then.) She blew her top and told me to go back in the store and buy the record with the plain sleeve. That evening I made my own picture sleeve by cutting out the faces of each Beatle from a wrapper of Beatles bubble gum cards and glued them onto the sleeve. Not what I wanted but I had made a unique creation.