Friday, June 28, 2024

My Son's Interest in My Favorite Music

My youngest son asked:

Dad & Bro,

If you had a list of 5-10 albums from your life that you thought I should listen to (front to back), what would they be?

- Alex
 
Alex:

Thank you for asking.

I can't narrow this list down from the twenty-four albums listed here. Down to ten is just impossible. This list is really down to the barest essentials.

 I can't judge recorded music by technical virtuosity because I don't read sheet music and I don't play instruments. My criteria for my absolute favorite artists, albums, or even individual songs is based on my visceral responses.

The Muse: "In ancient Greek religion and mythology, the Muses are the inspirational goddesses of literature, science, and the arts." The Muse is thought of as some sort of spiritual source of inspiration. Musicians will sometimes say they "call upon the Muse" for inspiration when composing or for a higher level of skill when singing or playing an instrument. On rare occasions I will hear an artist or band, an individual performance (a single) or a group of performances (an album or an even larger body of work) that to me sounds like some higher threshold is reached that seems to "touch the Muse" or come into contact with some higher force than what mere talent can offer. Once I hear that almost otherworldly excellence, I will hear it thereafter every time I hear that recording. It always remains there for me. It must feel like hitting a home run in baseball or winning a race, that moment of recognition.

In this list of albums I hear what sounds to me like that feeling of the Muse has been summoned and achieved. Technical virtuosity is not required. Roy Orbison or Patsy Cline had voices they could control perfectly that soar to the Heavens. Gut bucket blues musicians playing an electric guitar can sound like a old pickup truck that has trouble starting on a cold morning (Hound Dog Taylor, Muddy Waters, Elmore James). When it comes to lesser skilled musicians it is fun to listen to music that resembles following a drunk driver who looks like he has trouble keeping his car on the road. It sounds like a train wreck about to happen or a tightrope walker about to fall. That tension creates fun for me as a listener.

On this list, the Beatles receive short shrift and I feel bad about it. They produced a body of work that deserves examination from start to ending. They reinvented themselves almost annually in ways I have never seen or heard before. Even though none of them were individually great guitar players, those four guys together created a musical synergy that I can't compare to anything I have ever seen or heard. They remain peerless.

Not on this list but whom would be if I doubled it would include Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Big Walter Horton, Robert Johnson, Lonnie Johnson, Big Joe Turner, Elvis Presley especially with Scotty Moore, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, the Everly Brothers, Wanda Jackson, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Coasters, the Marcels, Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, the "5" Royales, Lonnie Mack, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, Travis Wammack, the Trashmen, the Yardbirds, Eric Burdon and the Animals, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, Etta James, Arthur Conley, Sam and Dave, O. V. Wright, Hank Williams SENIOR, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Buck Owens and the Buckeroos, Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant, Moon Mullican, Marvin Rainwater, the Cramps, Deke Dickerson, and Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys.



For some reason I have not yet figured out, most new musicians I have discovered are women. Have I changed or have the young ladies become tougher as musicians? First Aid Kit, Courtney Barnett, Band-Maid, Shannon and the Claims, the Mona Lisa Twins, Babymetal,.

Having said all that here, then, is the list you asked for:
 
 
 
Beatles A Hard Day’s Night motion picture soundtrack
Beatles Help motion picture soundtrack
Blasters Self-titled 2nd album, rockabilly
Cream Fresh deluxe edition of 1st album
Dale, Dick King of the Surf Guitar compilation on the Rhino label
First Aid Kit The Lions Roar deluxe edition
Hendrix, Jimi, Experience Are You Experienced? first album
Iron Butterfly In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida popularized LONG songs
It’s a Beautiful Day self titled first album
James, Elmore One Way Out many similar compilation exist
King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King first album
King, Albert Blues At Sunrise live at Montreaux, Switzerland Jazz Festival
Littlejohn, Johnny Chicago Blues Stars boozy Chicago blues
Morells Shake and Push rock 'n' roll
Orbison, Roy All-Time Greatest Hits of… compilation on Monument label
Patsy Cline 12 Greatest Hits compilation on MCA label
Quicksilver Messenger Service Happy Trails second album, live and studio recordings seamlessly blended
Self, Ronnie Bop-a-Lena rockabilly at its most extreme
Shannon, Del Greatest Hits compilation on the Rhino label
Taylor, Hound Dog & the Houserockers self titled first album
Vincent, Gene & the Blue Caps self titled second album
Waters, Muddy Fathers and Sons one each studio & live album
Weather Report Mysterious Traveler 4th album, superb example of 1970s jazz-rock-fusion
Wray, Link Rumble: the Best of Link Wray compilation on the Rhino label